The food you eat and the amount of toxins you consume are going to play a big role in your state of well-being. The saying, “you are what you eat” is very accurate. The mind-body connection is no joke. If you eat foods that are essentially not healthy, whole and organic, this is a toxic lifestyle. Your mental state is going to be affected as well as your physical body. Depressed mood, mood swings, food cravings, weight gain, sleep issues, chronic pain…the list goes on and on.
The following are some of the best detoxifying foods for both mind and body. Start incorporating these foods into you daily diet. They are detoxifying, super antioxidant powerhouses!
- Apples – Apples are high in pectin. Pectin is a type of fiber that binds toxins such as heavy metals in the body. They are important to include in your diet to eliminate toxic build up in the intestines. They also have anti-cancer, anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. Slice up and apple and add some almond butter for a great afternoon snack.
- Almonds- They are high in fiber, calcium as well as protein. Almonds are great snack not only while detoxing, also to help stabilize blood sugar!
- Cherries- They are a natural pain reliever as they contain aspirin. They also help to detoxify and reduce inflammation in joints and the body’s tissues. Another great component in a cherry is pectin. Pectin helps to clear-out heavy metals, food additives and any build up in the intestines.
- Blueberries- Like cherries, are a natural pain reliever. They contain aspirin which will help to reduce the effects of inflammation. Blueberries also have anti-biotic properties for the reason that they are able to block bacteria in the urinary tract thus helping to prevent infections.
- Cranberries- Very cleansing as they contain anti-viral and anti-biotic properties. They cleanse your body from damaging bacteria and/or viruses that may be hiding in your urinary tract.
- Lemons- contain Vitamin C which is needed to create glutathione. Glutathione is an important antioxidant and needed for your body during what is called phase 2 liver detoxification. Lemons in general are natural liver detoxifiers. Start your day with hot lemon water!
- Artichokes- They help the intestines to eliminate toxins from the body due to the fact artichokes increase bile production. Also, contain a substance that assist the liver to break down fats in the body.
- Beets- contain a unique blend of phytochemicals and minerals that are awesome at combatting infection. They are blood purifiers and liver cleansers. From a cellular standpoint, they boost intake of oxygen. Excellent detoxifier!
- Avocados- Nutritional powerhouse! They contain glutathione(antioxidant) helping the liver to detoxify chemicals. Avocados are an anti-estrogenic food, meaning they have the ability to block estrogen absorption in the body while promoting the production of progesterone in women and testosterone in men. They will help balance estrogen levels for better health.
- Seaweed- binds to radioactive waste in the body. This type of waste is found in our body through medical testing, through food that’s grown where the soil is contaminated. Seaweed also binds to heavy metals helping to remove them from the body. They also have an abundance of minerals and trace minerals.