With the beginning of a new year, many of us resolve to achieve a new, healthier version of ourselves by ridding harmful habits and behaviors. The following is nutritional support to help kick the smoking habit.
Finding way to cope with stress is paramount as stress and smoking go hand in hand for the reason that nicotine addiction causes stress. The cravings for a cigarette feel stressful; when your body is without nicotine you begin to go through withdrawal.
- Avoid alcohol
- Avoid overbooking yourself
- Avoid fried foods
- Avoid hydrogenated oils- canola oil, safflower oil, margarine, corn oil
- Avoid sugar (replace with stevia, black strap molasses or honey)
- Avoid white flour, processed foods (including cereals, pasta, bread, crackers, pancakes, waffles)
- Eat foods high in omega 3 fatty acids- salmon, flaxseed, seafood, walnuts, spinach, eggs
- Eat a balance of Omega 9 fats -macadamia nuts, avocado, olive oil, almond butter, hazelnut oil, olives
- Eat quality, lean protein at every meal- organic chicken, turkey, bison, grass fed lean beef, salmon, eggs
- Snack on crunchy vegetables such as celery and carrots
- Eat nuts in small amounts
- Eat foods high in Tryptophan; an essential amino acid-bananas, turkey, soybeans(whole) pumpkin seeds, shellfish, beans, lentils, eggs, avocados
- Exercise- stretch, walk, run…just move!
Some Supplements to Assist in Kicking the Habit:
- Rhodiola Rosea (root) - an adaptogenic herb, may reduce withdrawal symptoms
- Taurine - an amino acid, may improve blood vessel function in smokers
- L-Tyrosine – an amino acid, increases dopamine levels in brain. When you smoke, dopamine is released which brings feelings of pleasure and relaxation. Check out a previous blog post on how to increase your feel good hormones naturally (dopamine)
- Chromium – a mineral; helps to reduce cravings by regulating blood sugar levels
- Adrenal Support formula – look for a formula that has herbs and nutrients to assist in controlling stress and rejuvenating your adrenals.
- Vitamin C - Smoking depletes Vitamin C in the body, which is why smoking ages your skin so rapidly
- Milk Thistle -Aids in detoxifying the liver
- Glutamine- good for when you’re going through withdrawal, helps to decrease cravings.
If you would like to jump-start kicking the smoking habit with a detox-cleanse, I would recommend the Heavenly Body Cleanse, Candi Cleanse or Aster Detox
To your health!